Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Nervous Conditions Review

Nervous Conditions should definitely stay on the course syllabus for next year's 9th graders.  It perfectly answered our class question, "How do community and culture shape who we are?"  Through the changing settings like the homestead, mission, and Sacred Heart, the characters had exposure to many types of environments that influenced them as people.  NC was also a very enjoyable read, with the exception of all of the projects that go along with it, but that is what has to be done.  They were a much more useful way of getting us to think deeper about this book than a test would have been.

When moving from the mission to the homestead and to Sacred Heart, Tambu and Nyasha find themselves confused and lost.  The pressure from society to be "english girls" and the pressure from their family to be "shona girls" are fighting each other.  These girls are put directly into the battle, and they are doing much of the fighting.  It is through their experiences with racism, sexual discrimination, poverty, and education that they are shaped into the people they are at the end of the book.   These social and cultural factors all create the plot, one that would not exist without them, therefore changing the outcome of the story.

In addition to how NC perfectly answers the question, I felt that it was a worthwhile read.  The story line was always changing, which made for a interesting read every time I picked it up.  I wouldn't say its the best book I've ever read, but I did enjoy it to a greater extent than some books I've read at school in the past.  Despite my pleasure reading the book, I am not quite sure what the purpose of reading this book would be other than answering our question.  I cannot see a normal person going pick this book out, because it doesn't really have a straightforward message or point to the story unless you're looking at it in the sense of postcolonial literature.

Overall, Nervous Conditions was a stimulating read that successfully answered our class question.  I would highly suggest keeping it on the syllabus.  The many stories that were woven so seamlessly together, and the qualities that made it enjoyable all come together for a great book.

Nervous Conditions B layer and A layer: 1 1/2 hours
Watch "Bend it Like Beckham": 1hour, 45 mins
Total: 3 hours, 15 minutes


2 comments:

  1. Dru, I totally agree with you! Nervous Conditions was a good book and it needs to stay on the syllabus for next year. I was definitely a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dru, I agree with you completely! I honestly really did like this book and I think that it was a good book to use for its purpose. It was interesting and not a boring teaching book.

    ReplyDelete