Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Expectations

       There are expectations in every aspect of our life, whether good or bad, and it is our decision how we are going to live up to these expectations.  Some people, usually called "people pleasers," totally abide to them.  Others choose to let themselves decide how they will act, as opposed to people around them dictating their actions.
       The first place that I think of expectations is school.  There are many different types of expectations, but let's just take a simple one for example.  Being on time to class- we all have problems with it, so you kind of just have to learn how to work the system.  For example, in Spanish, you can be late, because Sr. Ramos fiddles on his computer for 5 minutes before even looking at the desks to see who's there.  Also, in World History and Biology, you can sneak in late.  However, In english, or math, you are expected to be on time and working when the bell rings.  I know that I have to have my materials ready and have used the bathroom before class, so I can meet those expectations.  
       On a more serious note, the big expectation at school is to make good grades.  To my advantage, yet sometimes disadvantage, I put the expectation on myself that I should make good grades and have all A's.  My parents know that I have that motivation, so they basically leave it up to me to do my school work and make good grades.  I am very fortunate to have it this way, because I see so many of my friends who just don't care, so their parents get on them all the time and they get grounded.  While usually good, these expectations can lead to a huge amount of stress.  I know that I am not perfect, and never will be.  Sometimes I have to remind myself of that in order to be happy.
       Another scenario is swimming.  Swimming is a huge part of my life and who I am, and I'm so lucky to be able to do it.  It has helped shape me into a determined, motivated, and focussed person.  Before practice, the only real expectation of us is that we're on time.  Naturally, my full blown crazy personality is revealed, especially when I'm with my good friends.  But when I'm in the pool, it's all business.  I expect myself to have a good practice so that I keep my confidence up all season, and my coach expects us to practice as hard as we can, so that we can swim fast at the end of the season.  We are also expected to know what set we are doing in practice, so we can do it correctly and get it done.  
      Expectations are a hard reality of life to deal with, but once you learn which expectations matter, and which ones aren't as necessary, you can have a better understanding of how to live your life.

Nervous Conditions Chpts. 7-10: 2 hours
C Layer 2: 2 hours
Total: 4 hours

1 comment:

  1. Interesting perspective, Dru. I'm in the same boat with the grades: I put more pressure on myself than anyone else does. Basketball is also similar to your swimming in that we are expected to be intense and focus throughout practice. Nice Post!

    ReplyDelete