Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Literacy Narrative

       When Dr. D. first gave us the assignment of writitng a litteracy narrative I was overwhelmed, and quite frankly, scared.  My thought process went something like this: "Oh my gosh, this is our first real writing assignment in her classs!"  "She's gonna grade us so hard!" What if I fail?" "I don't even consider myself as a reader of writer; I don't particularly enjoy either." "What in the world am I going to write about?!"  However, when she told us to take out a sheet of paper and list things that we have written or read that have impacted us in some way, I started to become more calm and less afraid.  There were a few options on my list that would work, but the one that I am going with, as of right now, is a paper I wrote last year about balancing school and sports.  I will have to look back in my writing portfolio, but I'm pretty sure I wrote two papers on this subject- one was a research paper, and the other my own personal story.

       As I wrote the narrative on balancing school and swimming, I really had to reflect on my life then and act as an outside observer on my own life.  That was a hard thing to do at first, because I mean, who wants to admit that they're wrong or that something in their life isn't "right".  Anyway, what was going on in my life at that time was that I was putting too much of my time and energy and focus into swimming, and not enough into school.  My grades were not necesarilly suffering, but I was finding myslef a lot more stressed, a lot less happy, and completely bored by school.  I was always a person who enjoyed school, and one day I was in my bedroom doing homework, and I realized that I didn't like school anymore.  I was miserable from the time the first bell rang until I got to the pool, and once I left, I was miserable again.  I knew that I needed to change, so I asked my mom what to do and she said, "Change your attitude".  It was that simple.  From then on, I was back to my old self.  That simple thing; that simple idea; that simple word, called attitude, makes a difference; not only in school and sports, but in every aspect of your life.  Once I reflected on myself and wrote that paper, I knew that I had just unlocked a tool that will help me for the rest of my life: CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE.

2 comments:

  1. That's great advice from your mom, Dru. It's interesting that you are choosing a reflective narrative to write, well, a reflective narrative on. I would think that would lead to some pretty deep content. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your use of dialog in explaining your feelings for the assignments. I agree, your moms advice was great!

    ReplyDelete