Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Free Post

Keep Calm and Carry On.  Nowadays, you see it everywhere.  But do you harness an erudition of the real meaning?
The first time I saw this saying was in my aunt's house.  She had a poster of it in her computer room, and I always thought it was a nice saying.  The slogan originated in Britain and was produced right before the beginning of World War II as a way of uplifting the spirits of its militant citizens during the crusade.  It was not publicly displayed, and had little distribution, so not many people knew about it.  It was used during that time period, and then it lapsed into a time during the late 1900's when it wasn't used.

But look around today, and you see it everywhere.  Ask anyone and they'll tell you that they've seen it.  Variations have been made, my personal favorite, "Keep Calm and Swim On," but there are many more.  The slogan and its variations are used on t-shirts, coffee cups, blankets, phone cases, etc.  People have not taken the redesigning of the slogan as an avocation, but as a business.  My question is, is it being overused?  Honestly, I think the demeanor in which it's used is getting a bit annoying.  All I ever see anymore when shopping on the internet is this slogan, and for me, it's becoming a raucous saying.  It's quite a shame that a saying that originally held such a deep meaning and purpose, is now becoming overused and worn out.  I am not trying to be definitive and say that people shouldn't use this slogan anymore.  I just hope that whenever people see this slogan, they remember the real meaning, and take it to heart.

2 comments:

  1. I agree - I don't get the sudden over-saturation of that saying. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Dru, it's everywhere, I feel like it is so over used. Everywhere I look I feel like I am always seeing it and I think it just needs calm down.

    ReplyDelete