Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Short Stories

       When we started this short story unit, I was not excited, but overall the stories have been pretty good!  My favorite was "Waltz of a Fat Man," and when Dr. D told us to read three more, I wasn't really sure what to annotate for.  I guess that's kind of the point of the assignment, but I feel that when you have something specific to read for, it makes it more interesting.  The three stories I read were "The Sniper", "Araby", and "The Endless Streetcar Ride into the Night, and the Tinfoil Noose."
       I liked "The Sniper" a lot, but the only thing I found interesting about it was that he accidentally shot his brother.  "Araby" was really confusing- I didn't follow it or like it at all.  I think there may have been two story lines, but I honestly couldn't even tell.  However, I did enjoy "The Endless Streetcar Ride into the Night, and the Tinfoil Noose".  Despite the long title, the story is rather short, and it is about a boy who goes on a double date, but it is a blind date.  The first part of the story is about how we are all born normal, but how some people turn out to be extraordinary and successful in life, and others stay normal, and the second part is about the date.  The story is in first person, and he says that everyone has that moment when the light of truth shines on them, and he got his shining moment on the blind date.  I guess he was trying to say that when these extraordinary people get their shining light of truth, it turns into something great, but his just ended in a bad date.  
       When describing the events leading up to and during the date, the author uses characterization to create these two sides of Scott.  One before the date, and one after.  When Scott is getting ready, he says, "That night I set out wearing my magnificent electric blue sport coat....My pleated gray flannel sacks began just below my breastbone and indeed chafed my armpits.  High-belted cascading down finally to grasp my ankles in a vise-like grip.  My tie, indeed one of my most prized possessions....It was of a beautiful silky fabric, silvery pearly colored...Hand-painted upon it was a magnificent blood-red snail.  He is very confident about his outfit, but then one his date, he gets the shining moment that his date hates his outfit, and him, and he says, "My new shoes are like bowling balls with laces.  My great tie that Aunt Glenn gave me is two feet wide, hanging down the the floor like some crinkly tinfoil noose.  My beautiful had-painted snail is seven feet high, sitting up on my shoulder, burping.  Great Scott! It is all clear to me in the searing white light of truth."
       "I'M THE BLIND DATE."

Short Stories:

The Endless Streetcar Ride into the Night, and the Tinfoil Noose: 30 minutes, 6 pages

The Sniper: 25 minutes, 4 pages

Hills Like White Elephants: 30 minutes, 4 pages

Total: 1 hour, 25 minutes, 14 pages


2 comments:

  1. I love how deep you are thinking about the stories in this post! I agree that the stories turned out to be pretty good- maybe they aren' all bad? Haha but nice job I can't wait to see your paper turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Sniper and Hills like White Elephants too. I definitely thought The Sniper was the best. I love how you put so much thought into these stories! :)

    ReplyDelete